Building a home vs buying a house
While the number of new home builds is on the rise in Adelaide and South Australia. In previous times buyers have preferred to purchase their new home through the real estate market in preference to building their own home.
There are pros and cons to each option, so which is right for you?
The question is should you be researching home builders in Adelaide to build your dream home or buying someone else’s house?
Home builds on the rise in Adelaide and South Australia
The new home builders market in Adelaide, South Australia and indeed across Australia is big business. Around 213,000 new homes have been built in Australia on average each year in the last five years.
Locally, the market is on the way up. According to the South Australian government, demand for new home builds and the new home builders market is surging in SA. Seasonally adjusted, it rose a staggering 34 per cent in December 2020, which is 67 per cent higher than the same period in 2019.
The real estate market is also big business. Currently, there are over 150,000 properties available for sale in South Australia. In the Adelaide CBD alone there are 601 properties for sale. In the Adelaide Hills there are 555.
New home vs old home
Before you rush off to find home builders in Adelaide to build your dream home or start searching for real estate via one of the online platforms, it’s worth considering which option is best for you. Apart from the obvious difference (i.e. one is a brand new home, the other isn’t) what are the pros and cons?
Build your own home:
- Everything is new, not just the home, but also the fittings, appliances and furnishings such as carpets and blinds.
- You get more choice in aspects such as the size of the home and layout.
- If you choose a custom home build with Selah Homes in Adelaide, you have even more choice. You’re only limited by your budget, so you can get exactly the home you want.
- A home built today will generally be more energy efficient than one built 10 or more years ago.
- Your home may even be healthier. No mould, mildew, toxic paints or asbestos.
- Building your own home can be an extremely rewarding and satisfying experience.
Buy an existing home:
- Depending on the home, if you have a short time line to buy a house, building may not suit your needs as it can take time. If you buy an existing home you can potentially be in your new home in a matter of weeks.
- It can be more convenient for some people to buy an existing home.
You may have noticed that we haven’t mentioned the stress of building a home. For some people, it can be a stressful time, particularly with the number of decisions you need to make. But the process of buying an existing home can also be stressful, so it really depends on the individual.
If, at the end of the day, you do decide to build your own home and are looking for home builders in Adelaide to help create your dream, contact Selah Homes to organise a no-obligation discussion and quote. Because if you’re thinking of building, you should think of Selah Homes.